This church was built to replace the original church destroyed on July 7 1944 in the last major air-raid over the city. The work began in 1954 and the church was consecrated in 1959. Following the design laid down by Henry Bernard, the whole building was made out of reinforced concrete, and formed a mandorla shape, evoking « a germ of wheat, with its altar » . It elliptical vault is held up by 44 radiating supports. The walls of the church are made up of 4500 pieces of glass in 50 different colours. The organ was purchased second-hand from the church of Saint Pierre-le-Vieux in Strasbourg.