- William the Conqueror history tour
- Free audio tour to be downloaded
- Treasure trails
- Children’s trails
- Cycle tours
- City Breaks in Family
- Little tourist train
Setting out from the Tourist Office, you can explore the outstanding architectural heritage of Caen at your own pace. Along this circuit you'll be able to admire the city's finest monuments as well as more secluded places, houses, streets, courtyards ; places that you can enjoy visiting alone or with others.
- Detailed map of the circuit on www.caen.fr/Tourisme/circuitGuillaume/
Free audio tour with the flashcodes system :
discover the city from your mobile
Depending on your mobile phone equipment, follow the instructions to enjoy a free interactive tour*.
Some signs (7 in total) from the famous historical “William the Conqueror” circuit are equipped with a flashcode (=an intelligent “barcode” enabling you to access multimedia content on your mobile more quickly and easily).
So you just need to take a photo of one of these fl ashcodes with your mobile phone, then you’ll hear an audio commentary about the monument you’re standing in front of.
* except for connection cost. Telephones must be compatible with the Flashcode system, and you must have an internet connection and download the free application first.
All year round
The city becomes a playground... These itineraries offer the opportunity to discover the city in total freedom, travelling through its old streets with your precious scroll in hand.
“Caen, from head to toe” Treasure Hunts
Open your eyes and see new sights. This series of treasure trails for adults and teenagers to complete independently encourages a spirit of competition, boosts team spirit and reveals the little secrets of the main districts of Caen’s historic centre. Everything is within reach and within your sight. To solve the puzzles, you will need your powers of logical deduction, observation and a certain taste for decoding, riddles, anagrams and crosswords.
There are five trails on offer, each one is independent and is a chance for you to discover Caen’s rich and diverse heritage as you solve the clues. For English-speakers or Anglophiles, “Caen secret-hunting” will take you from the Castle to the Men’s Abbey.
- The Trails :
- Caen secret-hunting (from the castle to the Men’s Abbey)
- Bourg Le Roy in the historic center *
- Bourg l'Abbé around the Abbaye aux Hommes *
- Bourg l'Abbesse around the Abbaye aux Dames *
- Château *
* in French
- Rates : €4 for the circuit of 1h30mn (up to 4 people on one trail)
- Contact : email@example.com - Phone : +33 (0)2 31 27 14 14 - Fax: +33 (0)2 31 27 14 13
All year round - Available in French or English
“Storming the castle” and “Discovering Caen”
Heritage for children. In the footsteps of the great Norman conquerors who have marked the history of the province since 911, take your children to conquer Caen and its Castle. Armed with a booklet, they can set off to discover the city’s heritage and history in a fun way. The questions call on their sense of observation and orientation. They also encourage children to read, count and draw... Children receive a gift if they answer all the questions correctly (1 gift per booklet only).
These fun trails, to be completed independently under adult supervision, will stimulate children’s imagination, sharpen their sense of observation and orientation, and make them aware of and curious about their environment. They are designed for children but parents will undoubtedly be challenged too, and will also enjoy themselves.
- Several kids booklets on sale all year round :
- Storming the Castle (ages 4-7 and 7-13)
- Conquering Caen (ages 7-13)
- Rates : €2,50 per booklet (1h30mn)
- Contact : firstname.lastname@example.org - Phone : +33 (0)2 31 27 14 14 - Fax : +33 (0)2 31 27 14 13
- Download the documentation
Only in french - All year round
The Tourist Offi ce invites you to discover the city through its many cycle paths. With the help of a little road map, discover the different aspects and monuments of the city while enjoying some relaxing leisure time.
- We offer three tours suitable for all fitness levels :
- Caen and its gardens
- In the footsteps of William the Conqueror
- Caen along the water
- Rates : €1
This package 2 days/1 night includes :
- 1 night in a hotel, breakfast included
- The entrance at the amusement park Festyland
- A discovery trail of the castle or of the city centre
- A welcome gift
It is possible to stay longer or book other services (touristic train, entrance at the Caen Memorial,…) according to the date of your stay. Rates on request.
- Rates :
From 15th April to 30th September 2014
Rate per person
Room 2 adults + 1 child under 12
Room 2 adults + 2 children under 12
Local tax not included, to be paid on spot
The services :
- The hotels
One rate per category of hotels… You have to choose a hotel from the list.
- Parc Festyland
A unique park at the heart of Normandy, where you can spend an exceptional day full of shared thrills and laughter. The thirty of so attractions are suitable for all – toddlers, children, teenagers and their parents – making it the ideal partner for family outings.
- A discovery trail for children
In the footsteps of the great Norman conquerors who have marked the history of the province since 911, take your children to conquer Caen and its castle. Armed with a booklet, they can set off to discover the city’s heritage and history in a fun way. The questions call on their sense of observation and orientation. They also encourage children to read, count and draw...
- Welcome gift
Pssst ! It is a surprise awaiting for you in your room ! Welcome to Caen !
Step on board for a commented tour lasting 45 min. You will see the main sites of the city go by before your eyes, such as the Church of St-Pierre, the Ducal Castle, the Ladies’ Abbey, the Marina and the Men’s Abbey.
- The commentary is given in French and English
- Departure from the Church of St Pierre, opposite to the Caen Tourist Office
- Schedule :
April and May : from Thursday to Sunday.
June, July, August and September : every day.
Departure every hour, from 10 am to 7 pm inclusive.
- Rates :
Commented trip : Adults : 6€, Children : 4€ (under 12), free under 3
You can hire the little train for your private events…